Friday, February 20, 2009

YUM-O!

I have had mixed results with recipes from Rachel Ray. It seems like the ones I like I LOVE, and then the rest I really do not like. Well her Gingerbread waffles are definitely blog worthy! Because I am such a rock star mom (in my head anyway) I have been sending special snacks to Sean's speech class on Fridays that relate to the "sound of the week." This week was "W" (Waffles) so I decided to give these a try. It was SO worth the trip to Meijers at 8:30 Thursday night for Molasses.

Friday morning Sean and I made the batter while Katherine was still sleeping. I cut them into waffle sticks so they could easily be eaten. I felt bad that they wouldn't have syrup so I bought some strawberries which Sean helped me cut up. His teacher said they were a huge hit! And Sean said "Lets always make these, no more regular kind." After I dropped him off I came home and Katherine and I each had one waffle topped with Strawberries. They didn't even need syrup. I think this will become a regular Monday morning breakfast for us. (Monday is our Sunday since hubby doesn't work) The leftovers also made a fantastic after school snack for the kids.

Here is the recipe hope you enjoy as much as we have:

Gingerbread Waffles

3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter, plus some to butter the iron
Syrup, whipped cream or fresh fruits for topping, to pass at table

Preheat waffles iron. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until fluffy, then beat in pumpkin, milk, molasses and melted butter. Stir the wet into dry until just moist. Do not overstir the waffle batter. Brush the iron with a little melted butter and cook 4 waffles, 4 sections each. Serve with toppings of choice.


Valentines Blog coming soon, I am having trouble uploading pictures.

1 comment:

Hippie Mama Kelly said...

Wow, those really do sound good. I'm so going to try these.