Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Taxes

I did not work this year!! Hurray, no W-2's to file. We have survived as a family of 4 with one income for one year. Can we do it again? The transition to the civilian world has not been easy, but is worth it. I am learning how to manage my own health care, which is VERY expensive. I had no idea how much it would cost. I don't think I will ever forget our very first bill from a civilian doctor. Katherine's 3 month check up cost $720. We will be going to get her shots at the health department from now on, $8 a shoot. I wonder if I can apply that to my unbelievably high deducible. I may have to go back to work just for the insurance. But we are taking our vitamins and trying our best to stay healthy to avoid the doctor.

They really should update the life skills class in school, maybe they have since I was there. But it was a joke for me. They should teach you about saving money, avoiding credit card debit, the steps in buying a house, health care coverage. In Econ class we spent an enormous amount of time playing the "stock market game." But it seems like that is putting the cart before the horse. You have to learn to manage your money before you will have the extra income to invest.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

i DO love the healthcare, we're down to six months!!